"Never expect things to be good" A blog from Chris Welton

Wednesday 6 August 2008

Fargo Yah?!


So, I've dedicated this week to watching "new" movies yah? And tonight, I finally watched the Coen's 1996 classic, Fargo.

I know I know, how on earth am I only just seeing this film. Yah. True. I can't believe it either. But there it is. Ok?

So, for those of you equally crazy to have not seen this flick, Fargo follows a botched fake kidnapping set-up by the wonderful William H. Macy and the persistent work of policewoman Marge Gunderson (Frances McDormand) trying to solve a series of murders.

One thing I must say right from the off...I couldn't have imagined the film to be so sentimental for such a dark tale. The relationship of Marge and her husband Norm is quite easily one of the sweetest unions I've ever seen on the big screen.

And Marge? She is simply a terrific character. A true movie hero. Dogged and right, she does her job well and is justifiably successful in the end.

A short and sweet thumbs up. Countless words of praise have made their indelible ink on Fargo, but I just wanted to add my praises, for an understated epic thriller with a huge dollop of Coen's black humour and squirting of crimson.

And the accents, oh yah? How can we forget those!

No comments: