"Never expect things to be good" A blog from Chris Welton

Tuesday 3 June 2008

A big old waffle

I'm sure you know this by now, but I thought I'd spell it out. I'm a massive TV geek. Not in a very modern sense, I still maintain the structure of waiting to see a show each week on TV rather than catching it all online, but because of the damn near obsessive nature of watching DVD boxsets and serieslinking too many shows to fit into each night.

I recently finally finished the majesty of Seinfeld, but being like I am, I started watching each season again, taking in the mouth-watering array of special features I may earlier have missed in my rush to learn the outcome of stories (Seinfeld? What stories..?). And one thing I'm really enjoying, which often goes overlooked, is audio commentaries.

This is a level of interest in a show which really separates the men from the geeks. Listening to stars, writers, directors etc talking over famous episodes is a wet dream of insider anecdotes and, usually, some good banter.

Simpson’s boxsets provide some of the best audio commentaries you will find. Hilarious chat between original writers in earlier seasons is too good to miss. You'll even catch Conan O'Brien in early seasons for Pete’s sake! What is done to perfection here is the ability to get genuinely funny people to lift the lid on even the dullest of episodes.

But watching/listening to Yada Yada Yada (Commentaries) on Seinfeld series 4&5 you notice a slight lack of thought.

When the stars are brought together (Julia Louis Dreyfus, Jason Alexander and Michael Richards) the viewer is treated to the cliquey and rip-roaring behind the scenes memories from a group who clearly have a great bond. Writers Max Pross & Tom Gammill (If you can take his silly voice) provide some great insight into a working environment where Larry David is a boss (Heaven?). Where Seinfeld DVDs gets it wrong though is giving episodes to director Tom Cherones.

Granted he's a great director who was at the helm for some classic episodes. Problem is...he's old and boring. He talks the viewer through the episode, rather than reflecting on it with a suitable commentary buddie. Jerry, even on his own, manages to grab your interest based on the simplest observations (usually "I'm trying to contain laughter there!")

The next step really is to take in some of my favourite shows with commentary that aren't comedy. Can you effectively listen to some great titbits while the plot is racing along on the Wire? I'm not sure. But of course I'm sure I can find some hours in the day/night to quench this nerdy thirst.

No comments: