"Never expect things to be good" A blog from Chris Welton

Thursday 12 June 2008

Cause we all just wanna be big RockStars...

When someone hands you something free in Edinburgh…it usually goes in the bin. Just look at Fringe show leaflets as the prime example.

So when I was handed a bottle of Rockstar Energy drink on Princes Street, my first instinct was to send it back to where it came for, or chuck it.

Strangely, I and many many other hurried people on lunch, took the drink back to the office.

Even more worryingly I decided to consume the can, despite the ginormous HIGH CAFFEINE CONTENT warning and the whopping 65g of sugar!

Let’s pick up the action in the beginning of the first sip…

13.21: Glug…nothing new. Tastes like Red-bull, something I instantly associate with sticky floors in a dirty old Weatherspoons pub.

13.26: Already feeling the effects. I did give up fizzy drinks well over a year ago, so I have a very low tolerance these days.

13.29: My usually scribbly handwriting is almost unreadable after a few strokes.

13.32: Jesus McChrist there is still sooooo much left. I know I’m not guzzling it down but still. Entering a very dull calm period.

13.35: Shaking a little. No more than usual. Brain is working at “ludicrous speed”, very useful as I’m brainstorming ideas for a client.

13.47: I need a hit! In discussion with the boss, well away from can on desk. Wobbling slightly, nose leaking rapidly. Glug glug. Ahhhh.

13.51: Heart rate nice and rapid.

13.58: Struggling to communicate effectively. Not an unusual sight, but still…

14.02: Contemplating giving up and switching to my delicious looking bottle of water.

14.06: Bursting for a wee-wee. Good to know there is actually liquid in my sugar & caffeine.

14.08: One sip away from this dramatic climax! Vision went slightly blurry back there, worrying.

14.11: It’s all over folks!

It is very worrying how many of these drinks are now on the market. The amount of sugar and caffeine is absolutely obscene so other than rare circumstances, I can’t see why anyone would drink something like RockStar. More to the point, how could you drink it regularly without getting seriously fat and obscenely hyper.

UPDATE: 17.18 – I feel sick.

No comments: