"Never expect things to be good" A blog from Chris Welton

Friday 9 May 2008

The Daily Show with Stephen Colbert

In case you hadn’t noticed (and why would you, it’s on FX…) The Colbert Report is finally on UK television.

Want to know the numbers? Well now there are two! We have the full serving of popular American political cable shows now on UK screens (albeit on FX…) on a (nearly) nightly basis (Daily Show: Global Edition? What a crock). Sure we’re a few days out and there are countless US-audience-specific namedrops which fly ever-so high over our heads, but I for one, cannot get enough.

The Colbert Report focuses on the immense character of Stephen Colbert. Satirising American political pundits, like my favourite Bill O’Reilly (If you really want to giggle, Sky+ FOX News for The O’Reilly Factor, trust me) , Colbert produces something completely different to what I’ve become used to on the Daily Show. With John Stewart, you get all the ridiculous best bits from politics and the media in America, with Stewart lapping up the laughs from some perfectly executed gestures/jokes/pen scribbling/shouting. But Colbert is a better character. Heavily unreliant on the audience, his act puts Stewart to shame.

The Colbert Report interviews, with typically anonymous US guests, are much more watchable. Why? Because Colbert’s character still rules over the invited guest, whereas Stewart (and I mean this in the most pleasant terms) panders and engages with guests.

Granted this is only week one of this mighty clash, but I my allegiance to Stewart is already waning. Only time will tell. Which show will be unserieslinked the fastest?

And what a Colbert Report to start on this week. The battle between Colbert and Rain (…“RAIN!!!” *shakes fist*)…amazing.

My name’s Chris. My American TV obsession continues thanks to Brothers and Sisters, Mad Men, Big Bang Theory and Heroes. Keep at it Apprentice and Peep Show! I’m not all the way over to the dark side…yet.

No comments: