"Never expect things to be good" A blog from Chris Welton

Monday 19 May 2008

You know those guitars that are like, double guitars?

I have been pretty rigid with my music lately. Everyday is the same couple of albums, and they're all new. It got me thinking. What would a Supergroup from these bands look like? Well....hold your breath....cos here we go!

Singer: Tommy Rogers - Between the Buried and Me.
A phenomenal metal singer with a genuinely good voice too. Seeing BTBAM supporting Dillinger Escape Plan, I was completely taken aback how precise and perfect his vocals were live. His intensity is overwhelming while the bipolar journey the songs take you on really magnify his excellent range.

Bassist: Chris Cain - We are Scientists.
Ok it's time for some much needed coolness. Who better to fill the roll than the whiteboy afro and tash legend from the excellent We are Scientists. If you watch an interview with Cain, you'll know what I'm talking about. Witty, quick and smooth, this guy is the opposite of what bassists usually are (I'm looking at you Nate Mendel!)

Lead Guitar: It's amazing when you dislike a band so much, they go and change their sound, alienating a lot of their original fans - just to get you on board. I disliked Panic! at the Disco so much, and yet their new album is superb. Equal parts delightful pop and country, it is so far removed from the hideous pretentious 'clever' punk sound they went for before. Thus, I am awarding my lead guitar to Ryan Ross from Panic at the Disco (even though he looks five-years old).

Drummer: Goodness it would be easy to throw in the BTBAM drummer here. But no...I won't. I'm giving it to Jack Bevan from Foals. A token indie drummer granted, but Bevan is spectacularly metronomic.

Rhythm Guitar: A cheeky pick here really. I'm going for Alex Turner from the Last Shadow Puppets. Proving himself to be the most accomplished and fantastic artist of our current generation, Turner is also a darned good (sometime) backing singer with the Last Shadow Puppets. Add to this his nifty guitar skills, I think he'll do nicely.

What would they sound like? A hybrid of indie, pop, electronica and metal, or in other words, a big pile of rubbish.

No comments: