"Never expect things to be good" A blog from Chris Welton

Wednesday 14 May 2008

"The Finale" Review (10 years late) Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Ten years to the day, "The Finale" was broadcast to an audience of 76 million views. (To the day! How spooky is that?!?) And, last night, I finally watched the last ever episode of the legendary show, Seinfeld.

I may be ten years late, but fate has brought me to this point. My casual purchase of Season's 1-3 in a sale at HMV last year started something. A pathway which led to my bedroom last night (steady...). Lying watching my TV I finally, with all the character and show history correctly viewed and etched in my memory, enjoyed "The Finale", exactly ten years after it was originally screened. Just imagine, all those people back then with their small TVs and slow internet.

I can't remember ever watching Seinfeld on the TV. I know I knew about it. But something inside me insinuated that isn't up my street. Very strange indeed really, when, having completed Series One, I realised any reservations were completely unfounded, and that Seinfeld will be one of my favourite shows ever.

Why is it so good? Well it's clearly not lost anything over time as the humour is still spot on. It isn't about "nothing" but the conversations, some of the plots and settings are normal, allowing the legendary characters to make this show. Watched in a group, it is even funnier. Lol funny.

My favouite episode? Well it's hard to look past "The Contest" ("I'm out!") but I also hold the "The Parking Garage" and "The Merv Griffen Show" in super high regard.

And "The Finale"? What of that...Well it's certainly not what I expected (a similar reaction, I've learnt, to the original broadcast) but it captured how innovative Seinfeld was. A long time ago I wrote a blog about the best endings to TV shows ever..."The Finale" is great in so many ways, and I was on tenterhooks for the closing, but tbh I wouldn't put it up there. More, it should be remembered for the season which led up to that point. Finally hitting his stride without Larry, Seinfeld season 9 is right up there with the superb early series.

There's no doubting Seinfeld's 'classic TV' tag and it is now firmly in my rotating cycle of DVDs I can watch over and over and over...(add to this Curb, Scrubs and Simpsons).

Ten years young and still rocking. How it isn't overtly-syndicated on TV like Friends I'll never know.

Boy, these pretzels are makin' me thirsty.

No comments: